Monday, September 15, 2008

I need to learn how to make this stuff

I've seen vital wheat gluten in the store for a while now but have always been too scared to buy it. Just the name creeps me out but I did get some at Giant Eagle yesterday. And let's not forget how I made a complete fool out of myself. I was grocery shopping with my mom and she said she would meet me at the deli. I picked up all of my dried fruit, put it in the cart, and walked over to her. I asked her why the cart was still buy the fruit and she said that wasn't her cart. I went over there and picked up my stuff out of some random person's cart. " Mommy, I just put all of my stuff in someone else's cart," I said as I slid my stuff into another shopping cart. " Just as you put all of your stuff in my cart as well?" a really hot guy said to me. Dear God. You have got to be kidding me. haha. Two wrong carts in 2 minutes? How does that happen? I felt so stupid, so I just hung out in the organic aisle for a while after that. And it was hell trying to find Ener-G egg replace by the way. I was going nuts! The spot that was labled Egg Replacer was filled with Tapioca Flour Bread. Great. haha

But anyway, about the vital wheat gluten. It's because I've been dying to make my own Seitan; however, the recipe for today is made with packaged Seitan. I first bought it at Whole Foods because I had no clue it was capable of making my own. I'm trying to get a feel of how it cooks and tastes before I whip up a batch. I made this recipe up yesterday because I can't find any recipes online for Seitan. I swear I've been on so many blogs and sites trying to find easy stuff made with packaged Seitan. It turned out really delicious and the fresh ginger makes a huge impact on the flavor. I loved it.

Here's the recipe:
Garlic Ginger Seitan

1 (8oz) pkg Seitan, chopped in bite-sized pieces
1/3 cup vegetable stock
1 medium-sized onion, chopped
2 Tbsp Tamari
2 tsp minced garlic
1 Tbsp brown rice miso
2 Tbsp ginger, grated

Directions:
Heat the vegetable stock over medium heat. Add the Seitan and onion. Let simmer for 5 minutes. Add the Tamari, garlic, miso, and ginger. Stir together until the ingredients are well-incorporated and the miso is broken up. Cook for 5-7 minutes, or until most of the liquid has thickened. Eat up with some nice spinach!

1 comment:

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

That sounds really good. I'm copying this down, as I looove ginger.

My dogs are omnivores... if they were solely mine, they'd be vegans, but thy're family dogs. They DO love vegan food, though, including vegan cheese! Bu then again, they also eat worms off the sidewalks, so I wouldn't trust their tastebuds!