Friday, September 12, 2008

I heart Muffins

So I pretty much slept as soon as I got home from school yesterday. I was ambushed. haha love that word. I got my Bio test back, and I got an 84%!!!!! Praise the Lord. I thought it was so much worse so I didn't even look at the grade myself. I handed the test to my mom when I got home and had her read me the grade. I ended up hittin up the gym really late last night, and I'm goin again this morning. Pilates time. Love my Pilates!! And of course, I have to work tonight... but that's a given. It's my dad's 43rd birthday, and I can't go out to dinner with him. Damn Sears. I won't have to deal with them much longer, only another week.

Anywho, here's today's recipe. I am obsessed with muffins. If I've never said that on here, I'm saying it now. I make muffins all the time because they are the perfect breakfast, snack, dinner, what have you. I had 4 yesterday, and I have to share the first recipe with you. you'll get the other one tomorrow. haha. These ones are called the "As-You-Like Muffins" from Dreena Burton's cookbook. They are so delicious and really hearty. I halved my version, but this is the full recipe. It makes 9-10 medium muffins.

Here's the recipe:
As-You-Like Muffins
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour or whole wheat flour
1 cup ground oats
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
3/4 cup fruit or nuts
1/4 cup unrefined sugar
couple pinches of salt
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup vanilla or plain soymilk
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 tbsp canola oil

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a large bowl, combine flour, ground oats, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, fruit and nuts. Combine well. In another bowl, mix applesauce, soymilk, maple syrup, and vanilla and add this to the dry mixture. Stir and add canola oil as it starts to come together. Mix until well-combined (do not overmix). Spoon into a lained or lightly oiled muffin pan and bake for 19-24 minutes, until golen brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Mine were done in 19 minutes exactly.


No comments: