Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Pour Some Sugar On Me

Yesterday was my first day of class, and I am already overwhelmed with stuff to do. I have a lot of reading to do, but I guess I should've known that. I stayed up really late last night to take a Biology quiz online. Yes, a quiz on my first day. Go figure. I think that's what caused me to have another weirdly, vivid dream. It was about this one boy from high school who played hockey. I see him at the gym and Giant Eagle a lot. He's really corky, but totally bangin! In the dream, we met up at a swimming pool and wanted to surprise my one friend, Mitchel. We dressed up in eighties clothes and hid under the pool cover. It was at 3 am, so I have no idea how we got in the pool. This one girl that I really dislike was there and she wouldn't leave us alone. She said she had to clean the area and we couldn't be there. Oh well. I know it doesn't make any sense haha I think my mind is just too damn complex for these dreams. That reminds me... there's this quote in "Loving Frank" about dreams that I just have to put on here. Frank says, "To fare on-fusing the self that wakes and the self that dreams." Such a deep and beautiful quote!!!

So onto the delicious recipe. This is an old-fashioned vegan chocolate chip cookie- the best kind! It is honestly one of the best cookies I've ever had. I got about 2 weeks worth of ice cream sandwiches out of these puppies, and I had one every day. I was surprised how chewy they stayed in the freezer. I didn't even need to nuke them in the microwave from them to be soft again. It was like freakin magic. And of course, they are one of Dreena Burton's delectable creations from "Vive le Vegan."

Here's the recipe:
The BEST Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 1/4 cups spelt flour
1 tsp baking powder
1⁄2 tsp baking soda
1⁄4 cup unrefined sugar
1⁄4 tsp sea salt
1⁄3 cup pure maple syrup
1⁄4 tsp blackstrap molasses
1 - 1 1⁄2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1⁄4 cup organic canola oil (a little generous 1/4 cup)
1⁄3 cup non-dairy chocolate chips (or carob)

Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C). In a bowl, sift in the flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Add the sugar and salt, and stir until well combined. In a separate bowl, combine the maple syrup with the molasses and vanilla, then stir in the oil until well combined. Add the wet mixture to the dry, along with the chocolate chips, and stir through until just well combined (do not overmix). Place large spoonfuls of the batter on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and flatten a little. Bake for 11 minutes, until just golden (if you bake for much longer, they will dry out). Let cool on the sheet for no more than 1 minute (again, to prevent drying), then transfer to a cooling rack. Makes 8-10 large cookies.

1 comment:

Gregory said...

Really useful data, much thanks for your article.
apartments | Westminster MD | birthstones for each month