Tuesday, August 19, 2008

First Day of School

Well, it's the first day of the last day of my life. haha no but it is the first day of school. My friend Ashley is picking me up in a little while and of course, I'm still in my bathrobe with soaking wet hair. I'm really tired this morning. My friend Steve came over last night and was here til around 1:30. I knew I should've cut it off at 12, but it was a lot of fun. We had to catch up on an old episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm!!! Uhh love that show. And then, no visit to my house is complete until you've done a Carmen Electra video. Hands up one of the funniest things I have ever seen. My sister saw it and she loved it, too. The real cherry topper was when we were at the park. I hit my forehead and nose on the monkeybars, so I now have red marks on both of them. Just perfect for today, right?

Well, at least today's recipe is better than my face. I tried cookin' with SEITAN last night!!!! Dear Lord, was I nervous! It looked like a package of brains, so I had to take a ton of pictures with it. I made this random, crazy bbq seitan. I just kept throwing ingredients into the saute pan hoping it would be edible. And I LOVED it. I'm eating it for breakfast right now... which isn't surprising because I do that with every dinner I make. I gave some to my sister, and she nearly gagged. Steve claimed that he liked it, though, and he might have been telling the truth. I mean, he didn't spit it out. haha

Here's the recipe:
Girl Gone Wild Barbecue Seitan

8 oz pkg Seitan
1/4 cup vegetable stock

2 tsp Worceshire sauce

1/2 cup barbacue sauce

1/2 medium-size onion, chopped

1 tsp minced garlic

1 tsp onion powder

1 tbsp agave nectar

1/2 tsp chili powder

1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper

1/2 tsp sea salt

1/3 cup cashews, chopped

Directions:

Over medium-high heat, pour vegetable stock and Worceshire sauce into saute pan. Add onion and cook 3-5 minutes or until slightly golden. Add seitan and minced garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until seitan is beginning to get crispy. Add barbacue sauce, onion powder, agave nectar, chili powder, pepper, and salt. Cook on low-medium heat for 10-12 minutes. The sauce should be thicken, but if it's too thick, add another 1/4 cup of vegetable stock. Add cashews when ready to serve.


Note: Cashews add crunch and pizazz to any dish, so feel free to add as much as you'd like! I served my seitan over a bed of spinach-the leaves wilted nicely and were very flavorful from the sauce.

No comments: