Thursday, August 7, 2008

Can we say weird dreams?

I had the strangest dreams last night. The first one, I saw one of my friends from a different state. He was trying to get me to come shopping with him. The second dream, my ex-boyfriend's friend was creeping around. He got a job where I worked and wouldn't quit following me around the store. I wish I knew someone who could interrupt dreams because I am just plain confused. haha.

Well, anyway, here's today's recipe. I baked these cookies to send to the U.S. Military in Iraq. I'm an angel baker, and each month we ship a box of goodies to the men and women who are fighting. These cookies are absolutely delicious!!! They are thin and flaky, and very chewy. I made the rest of them into ice cream sandwiches. And let me tell you that these cookies spread a lot while baking! The recipe is from "Vive le Vegan," but I used almonds instead of pecans.

Vegan Carob-Coconut-Almond Cookies
1 cup spelt flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/4 cup unrefined sugar
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/3 cup pure maple syrup
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp coconut extract
1/4 cup canola oil
1/3 - 1/2 cup carob chips
1/3- 1/2 cup blanched almonds

Directions: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a bowl, combine flour, but sift in baking powder and baking soda. Add the coconut, sugar, and salt, and stir until combined. In a separate bowl, combine the maple syrup with the vanilla and coconut extracts, then stir in the oil, carob chips, and almonds and stir through. Add the wet mixture to the dry, and stir through until just combined (don't overmix). Place large spoonfuls of batter on baking sheet lined with parchment paper, or on a non stick cookie sheet. Flatten the cookies a little bit with a fork. Bake for 11 minutes, until lightly golden (if you baker for much longer, they will get dry). Let cool for no more than 1 minute on the sheet, then remove and transfer to cooling rack.

I really hope you guys try these suckers. They have become one of my favorite cookies. I ended up having an ice cream sandwich every morning for breakfast when I made them.

No comments: