Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Vegan Mac and Cheese # 2

Well, let me just say that this vegan mac and cheese recipe has nutritional yeast in it!!!!!!!!!!!!
Woohoo. That should tell you that it's good already. I searched grocery stores for weeks trying to find that damn stuff. I had no clue what it looked like, and when I ventured into Whole Foods, I found it in the bulk bins.

Ok. I just needed to get that off my chest. There's something else I just need to say, too. My dream last night was freaky. I met this group of kids in the military and we played on the playground together. I ended up doing boot camp workouts with them on the playground and my pajama pants fell off when I was climbing up this wall! It was terrible, but then I woke up, went back to sleep, and had a new dream. This one involved Chris from the "Date My Ex: Jo and Slade" show. I can't remember exactly what happened, but Chris is the most beautiful man alive. That's all I'm gonna say ; )

Alrighty. Here's my opinion on this second mac and cheese. I definitely liked Dreena's recipe of "Mac Oh Geez" better because it had more flavor. I added some dashes of tamari to this recipe because it needed some pizazz. This recipe comes from the Fat Free Vegan site, so I guess it's not supposed to be down right comfort food in the first place. It was very cheesy from the nutritional yeast, and the tamari definitely made me like it more. I added spinach to mine because spinach is delicious. I halved the recipe so it made 2 servings, but here's the adaptations I made to the recipe.

Here's the recipe:

Vegan Mac and Cheese

1 pound pasta (regular or gluten-free)

Blend together:

1 1/4 cups water

1 cup plain, almond milk or soy milk

3/4 cup nutritional yeast

3 tablespoons cornstarch or potato starch

1 tablespoon lime juice

1 teaspoon salt (or more to taste)

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon onion powder

1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika

1/2 teaspoon turmeric

pinch cayenne pepper

2 tablespoons tahini

1 teaspoon brown rice miso

black pepper to taste

4-5 dashes of tamari


Directions:
Put the pasta on to boil, according to package directions. While it's cooking, blend all remaining ingredients together in a blender. When the pasta is al dente, drain it, reserving about 1/2 cup of the cooking water, and return the pasta to pan. Add the sauce mixture and cook, stirring, until mixture boils and thickens. Add a little of the pasta water if more moistness is needed.

1 comment:

AnickH said...

does this really taste like mac and cheese/ i'll beleive you if you say it does, i just dont see how it possibly could considering theres no cheese in the recipe): im so confused ?????