Saturday, August 16, 2008

Welcome to the Gun Show


I love Saturdays. Especially when I don't have to work until 5 pm. I think I'm gonna hit up yoga at the gym today with my friend, Barbara. I don't really like yoga at all, but maybe this instructor will change my mind. If not, I'm out 5 damn dollars. haha oh well. At least I'll pump a little iron while I'm there... and probably check out every sweaty guy in the place. haha. But anyway, last night after I got home from work, my mom and I watched this scary movie. It's called "Fear," and I nearly had a hernia just watching it. I love scary movies because I always get TERRIFIED/MORTIFIED when I watch them. Thank God I had some Cool Whip by my side. I love that stuff. haha. But honestly, I had to close my eyes during like half of it. I swear I'm 5 years old.

Onto the food. My recipe for today is Dreena Burton's Cashew-Ginger Tofu. It's one of my favorite tofu recipes, and I made it in West Virginia with one of my non-vegan friends. He absolutely loved it and said he usually hates tofu. I also didn't have a baking dish so don't even ask how I made it. I'll put the real recipe on here because it's probably even better when made inside the oven instead of on top : )

Here's the recipe:
Cashew-Ginger Tofu

1/3 cup cashew butter
3 1/2 tbsp tamari
3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 large cloves garlic, chopped
1 tbsp fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
2 tbsp agave nectar
3/4 cup water
1 pkg firm or extra firm tofu, cubed in thick squares

Directions:

Preheat over to 375 degrees F. Using a hand blender or food processor, combine cashew butter, tamari, vinegar, garlic, ginger, and agave nectar. Puree the mixture until smooth. Add water and puree again, scraping down sides of bowl if needed. Pour a little of mixture into an 8 x 12 in baking dish to cover bottom. Add tofu and pour remaining sauce to cover evenly. At this point either cover and refrigerate to marinate for 1 hour, or bake immediately. To bake, cover with aluminum foil and bake for 15 minutes. Remove cover, stir well, and bake again uncovered for 5-7 minutes, until sauce has thickened (lightly stir if necessary). Do not overbake, or the sauce will become too thick and pasty.

No comments: