Wednesday, August 13, 2008

A Sweet Morning

Well, I'm in a very good mood today, so I figured I'd wear one of my favorite shirts. The reason for the extra pep in my step is that my one manager quit yesterday. The whole store was happy to see her go because she was just treated everybody like trash. I'm also happy because these muffins I just baked for breakfast are ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS! I found a recipe for sweet potato muffins on the blog "have cake, will travel." Since sweet potatoes are my favorite food in the world, I knew I had to make these lovelies. I changed the recipe a little bit because I didn't wanna use some of the original ingredients. I also added marshmallows and pecans to make them sweet potato casserole muffins. I mean, who doesn't like a little piece of heaven in the form of a muffin? They came out so moist and the marshmallows melted inside so they were nice and gooey. Just pure heaven!!! You must try these!

Here's the magical recipe:
Sweet Potato Casserole Muffins

½ cup whole wheat flour

½ teaspoon baking powder

¼ teaspoon baking soda

Pinch of sea salt

½ teaspoon ground cinnamon

¼ teaspoon ginger powder

1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg

2 tablespoons almond milk or soy milk

1/3 cup sweet potato puree

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

¼ cup pure maple syrup

¼ cup unsweetened applesauce

20 marshmallows

4 whole pecans, or a few chopped pieces

Directions:

Preheat over to 350 degrees F. Spray muffins tins with PAM or use muffin liners. In large bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Add salt, cinnamon, ginger powder, and ground nutmeg to dry mixture. In separate bowl, stir together the almond milk, sweet potato puree, vanilla extract, maple syrup, and applesauce. Combine wet and dry ingredients and mix together. Scoop a tablespoon of batter into each of the 4 muffin holders. Add 5 marshmallows on top of the batter. Cover the muffins with remaining batter. Add pecans to the top of the batter. Place in oven for 16 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool in muffin tin for a few minutes until they have firmed up. Then place on cooling rack.

Note: I used 1 medium-sized sweet potato and had about 1/2 cup sweet potato puree leftover. I ended up just eating it out of the food processor with a spoon- You don't wanna waste that beauty.

No comments: